Dear community members and friends,
We've received President Trump's latest Executive Order targeting Muslims and refugees. We are appalled at this renewed attempt to assault our American values, targeting individuals based on race, religion, and national origin.
Although this order is unsurprising, a more complete analysis will take time. We are offering some preliminary guidance on who this executive order affects. We will send out more details as they become clear.
What you need to know:
- This Order DOES NOT affect:
- U.S. Citizens;
- Lawful permanent residents (green card holders);
- Individuals with currently valid visas regardless of whether they are in the country or not;
- Dual nationals traveling with any passport other than one from the six countries listed below; and
- Refugees and those granted asylum on or before the date of this Order. Also excluded are those granted protection under the Convention Against Torture.
- This Order DOES affect: People applying for new or renewed immigration status within the next 90 days from Sudan, Syria, Iran, Libya, Somalia, and Yemen.
- Iraq has been removed from this list
- The refugee program is being halted immediately, for 120 days. This will mean that anyone, anywhere in the process, will not move forward.
- Expanding the Restricted Entry List: DHS will perform a "country-by-country" review in which the list of countries may be changed.
What you should do to protect yourself:
- Non-citizens, even green card holders (lawful permanent residents) from one of the six countries named above, should consult with an attorney before traveling in or out of the country.
- Please keep looking for updates in the coming days to assess your travel options. If you are facing an emergency at the airport or border, call us at: (646) 665-7599.
- Regardless of your citizenship, do not permit law enforcement to enter your home without a warrant. Even if they have a warrant, you should not speak to them without consulting with an attorney.
What you can do to push back against this:
- Call your members of Congress and the U.S. Senate at (202) 224-3121 to ask them to speak out against anti-Muslim and anti-immigrant bigotry and oppose these Executive Orders
- Join us for upcoming civic engagement opportunities, which will be announced in the coming days.