Volunteer Communications Manager
Location: CAIR-NY’s Astoria Headquarters, Queens, NY. Reports to: CAIR-NY Executive Director
The Council on American-Islamic Relations, New York (CAIR-NY) is a leading Muslim civil liberties and advocacy organization. Its mission is to protect civil rights, encourage dialogue, protect civil liberties, empower American Muslims, and build coalitions that promote justice and mutual understanding.
Brief Description: CAIR-NY is seeking a creative, accomplished social media and mainstream media strategist to dramatically increase CAIR’s public education impact at this crucial time in our nation’s history.
Convey CAIR-NY’s mission and vision to various audiences by:
- Drafting and editing news releases, media kits, action alerts, press statements, and other communications materials
- Publishing communications materials on CAIR’s website
- Producing video, print, digital, and graphic materials in support of strategic marketing and communications campaigns
- Managing social media campaigns accounts to engage audiences to maximize communication of CAIR’s mission and vision
- Generate, edit, publish and share daily content (original text, images, video) that builds meaningful connections and encourages community members to take action
- Continuously improve by capturing and analyzing the appropriate social data/metrics, insights and best practices, and then acting on that information
- Collaborating with other departments (outreach, legal, etc.) to manage issues and to coordinate actions
- Recruit additional communications staffers
- May represent CAIR-NY in media interviews
- Demonstrated success in innovating and implementing social media and mainstream media campaigns
- Ability to speak and write in a clear and understandable manner for internal/external communications.
- Excellent news writing and editing skills. Experience in AP Style.
- Strong organizational and project management skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Thorough knowledge of social media tools, including YouTube, Twitter and Facebook.
Compensation: As a grassroots, mission-driven civil rights organization, fighting on the front lines of the resistance to the Trump Administration, CAIR-NY depends on volunteers to serve key leadership roles within our organization. While the position is unpaid, candidates would be expected to take on assignments with the dedication and commitment of other senior organizational leaders.
To apply: Please submit a cover letter with résumé and samples of relevant work to email@example.com Please reference “Communications Manager Search” in the subject line.
Application Deadline: Applications will be accepted until position is filled.