"You Muslim Terrorist, F*** You!!!” - These are words the woman shouted at me when I answered the phone at the office this past week.
Salaam & Peace,
Working for a Muslim organization this fervid phone call was not entirely shocking however, it was heartbreaking to hear such anxiety and despair on the other end of the line. Plainly, her words came from a place of unawareness and fear, but more than that, it saddened me that CAIR-NY has been unable to reach out to everyone in our state.
CAIR-NY cultivates a better understanding of Islam at the local level but, we need more support so messages like these become less common. When you donate to CAIR-NY your donations are used directly for the New York community.
Be a Champion of Justice! CLICK HERE to donate today. Donations are Zakat eligible and Tax-Deductible.
Since last Ramadan, through YOUR support CAIR-NY has
- Assisted 73 clients who are community members throughout New York State that needed assistance in the fields of FBI interrogation, hate crimes, workplace discrimination, school bullying, housing discrimination, immigration, etc.
- Launched our Anti-Bullying Campaign where we held workshops in 6 schools and Islamic centers
- Launched our Muslim Youth Leadership Symposium where 50 youth attended workshops led by 20+ speakers.
- Launched our Halal Food Campaign for New York City Public Schools
- Held workshops informing people about our Islamophobia Report where CAIR reported that the total revenue of the Islamophobia network from 2008-2011 was $119,662,719
- Took 50+ community members to Albany for our 2nd Muslim Day at the Capitol where we met with more than 50 elected officials and advocated for legislation impacting our community
- Sent out 25 Press Releases and Media Advisories where we were interviewed and referenced in major newspapers and media outlets
- Recruited and trained more than 30 interns and volunteers
- Held Diversity, Islamophobia, and Know Your Rights workshops in colleges and universities.
- Distributed our "Best Practices for Mosque and Community Safety" guide to mosques and Islamic centers which we mentioned at a press conference about 2 mosque hate crime incidents last weekend. We are currently mailing guides to more NY mosques.
We need your donations to continue offering our programs and services to the NY community as we also launch new projects. At the same time, we need your help to continue being in the office 5 days a week to help clients, report hate incidents, work with the media, and work with more mosques and community centers to advocate for our rights.
Donate today before Ramadan comes to an end! Donations are Zakat eligible and Tax-Deductible. Contact me anytime at 212-870-2002 or firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more about the work we do or to report an incident.
I am also sending you an early Eid greeting, may you have a joyous and blessed Eid! EID MUBARAK!
Director of Operations